Love food, hate waste
Learn how to avoid food waste, save time and money and reduce environmental impact in your household.
Did you know that across NSW, households throw away more than $2.5 billion worth of edible food each year?
Food is wasted when we:
- Buy more than is needed
- Cook too much
- Store food incorrectly
- Throw away leftovers
We celebrate the diversity of food and cultures in NSW.
Through our workshops with community groups across Sydney we captured many ideas on how to waste less and turn leftover food into creative dishes.
Follow this project on Facebook and check out our photo gallery and videos:
Things you can do to avoid wasting food:
- Plan your weekly menu in advance.
- Check what food you have in the fridge and pantry and think about what else you need to buy to create meals.
- Make a shopping list and stick to it when you go to the supermarket.
- Select fruit and vegetables that will be ripe by the time you are ready to use them.
- Think carefully before buying food that is on special – will you be able to use it all?
- Always check the use-by date, best-before date and packaging for correct storage methods.
- Carefully measure serving sizes when cooking.
- Freeze and reuse leftover food to create new meals.
- Use airtight containers to help keep food fresher for longer.
Click on the links below to learn how to buy, cook and save:
Watch our short videos in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic, and Vietnamese for some shared wisdom and easy, delicious ideas.